Thursday, March 31, 2011

"Hang him on your wa-ha-halllllll....."

Back in 1988 (or 89) there was a HUGE retrospective of Andy Warhols at the MoMA soon after his death....EVERYONE went...like everyone....people I still meet today whoa re around my age are always like..."Did you go to the Warhol show at the MoMA...." It was the thing to do....

Love him or hate him Andy Warhol changed how people see art...and WHAT people see as art...he also changed what we think of celebrity...and WHO we think are celebrities...he was the predecessor of "YouTube" and "D-Listed".....He took art from this place of mystery and stuffiness and put it in the hands of the people and said...here...you can do this too.....He gave a voice to the forsaken...the drag queens the husters the drug addicts...he let everyone know they too could be a superstar...even if it was only in your own living room....

Today i went to see the statue of Andy erected just outside of Union Square park...just blocks from the original Factory...He is made of shiny silver and causally stands with a bag from Bloomingdale's{Medium Bron Bag} in his hand...{Which I heard from my friend Tony V that he carried around the first issues of "Interview" in to see if local vendors wanted to carry it!!!!!}.....and his trusty Polariod...

Seeing the statue made me think of being a confused teenager...dreaming of recognition...and how lately...I've been getting some...and it made me smile....I guess I'm finally getting my 15 minutes...thanks Mr Warhol....





No comments:

Post a Comment