Wednesday, May 4, 2011

"There's no way back for me now....I am going to take you on journeys you've never dreamed were POSSIBLE!!!!" Alexander McQueen

I cried....

im not going to lie....It wasn't big hitching sobs...... but i creid...about half way through theres a hologram video of Kate Moss wearing the "Shipwreck" dress...one of my all time favourites...and the music...and the light...and the moment.....thats what did me in......it all just got to me......

Alexander McQueen to me has always been more than just fashion...he's been a mirror held up to myself...someone who had similar ideas and influences and aspirations...someone I could model myself after in a way....who had a similar path....a kindred spirit in many ways...or I hoped he was at least from all the information I gathered on him......I fell in love with his creations and his interpretation of fashion ever since i first saw his work.....His ideas of beauty are challenging and obtuse and i enjoy that...he had a lust for the Macabre and celebrated death much like the Victorians did.....He found romance in places where others merely find darkness.....but I guess that overtook him....and the fact that he isnt around anymore to inspire people is hard to take sometimes.....

However... his legacy lives on not only through the continuation of his house but through the legacy of amazing work he left behind......

I decided to take this day as a "mental health day"...and planned on going with many different friends but plans fell through as they do...so i went solo...which is fine because it was probably better...i've been having some AMAZING things happen to me...but have also been a bit overwhelmed by it all..So today was a day for ME to get inspired and enjoy a RARE day off during the week......





The rain was intense...but it hardly mattered and maybe even added to the day...Central Park always looks a bit more beautiful wet anyway.....and waiting outside for 20 minutes is fine when you have a stylish and functional umbrella like I have!!!!

As I entered the building and then soon after the exhibit...I was overwhelmed.....I stood for a second spellbound and gasped...a woman that i met outside waiting on line asked "Are you ok???"..."no...." is all I could muster....because what do you say when confronted with such beauty???? The rooms are divided not by collection but by theme "the Romantic Mind", "Romantic Gothic", "Romantic Nationalism", "Romantic Exoticism", "Romantic Primitivism", "Romantic Maturalism" and "the Cabinet of Curiosities"...each highlighting themes that ran their course through ALL of McQueens' collections in some way or another.....his brilliant draping and cutting skills...the stunning bead-work and embellishments...handmade laces...lush animal skins....fur and hair and leathers...hand moulded and hand painted...mud and flowers and bone....I couldnt breathe...I could barely move...I went through 4 times to take it all in......the guards started to give me knowing glances.....I was in heaven!!!!!

{i snuck a blurry photo...shhh}


All i can say is GO....go NOW...go MANY TIMES..and call me...because I guarantee you I will definately want to go again.....and again and again.....I wont give any more deatils...not just to keep some surprises...but because I dont think I have the words.....i left stunned...and walking around like a ghost....a ghost blowing in the wind and wet from the rain outside.....

So after the museum I took a walk to Bergdorff's...they had installed McQueen windows and i wanted to check them out...So I decided to stroll through the Park which i do WAY too rarely...i LOVE that section of the Park...it's so quiet and feels so isolated even though most of the time your merely a few feet from the street.....












The Bergdorff's windows were simple but stunning...they were intedned ,obviously, to highlight the pieces...which were a mix of classic McQueen and Sarah Burton's new collections...and they bleneded seemlesslytogther.....














left satisfied yet hungry...and more literally this time....So....to complete my Anglomaniacal day I headed downtown to eat an early lunch at "A Salt and Battery"....Some fish and chips were had.....

I then took my soggy self and headed home....To look over my treasures and to contemplate my day......and all the insanity going on in my life.....and allthough I DO feel very overwhelmed sometimes...I am so excited and proud of all the things happening to me.....and I'm thankful to all the people in my life that help me and inspire me...even the people I never knew.....


So...Thank you Lee....I wish you stuck around a bit longer......but I know how hard it can get sometimes....and  I hope your happy now wherever you are...I'm forever grateful to you for the legacy and the art you left behind....It means alot!!!!

XOXO

and as a little bonus a clip from my all time favourite McQueen collection "VOSS" from Spring/Summer 2001...enjoy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment